Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Pastoring is different when you are young

All of my life, I have tried to be older than I am.  

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a bigger kid.
When I was in middle school, I was ready to be in high school.
When I was a high schooler, I kept looking forward to college.
In college, I was ready for a career.
When I was single, I anticipated marriage.

Now I am a young pastor.  I feel a lot of pressure to act more like an older pastor.

Then I read 1 kings 12.

You have Solomon, this incredible King (with faults) who dies.  His son, Rehoboam takes over.  The people want Rehoboam to lighten their load to be less authoritative. They want to feel more appreciated, they wanted the younger leader to be different.

Rehoboam then asks advice from His father's elders who tell him that he should be less authoritative and serve them.

Then, he asks for advice from his inexperienced friends (who have read books, been to conferences, and follow blogs, but don't really know what they are talking about) for advice.  They say, man you are the King, you need to show them who is in charge.

He follows his friends advice, things don't go well.

Lesson:  I am not 40,50, 60..... I am 26.  I have not been a lead pastor for 10,20,30 years....I've been one for 1.5 years.  I'm not Solomon, I'm Rehoboam.  

I don't need to act like I am a king that expects everyone to follow my direction at the drop of a hat.  I need to realize that people are going to respond best to me as they see me lead by example, serve the people, and personally invest in the vision that God has given me.  

Leadership flows out of Authority and Affinity.  When you are younger, you have less authority, so love on the people more.  God calls the young, but it's more difficult.  But He wants to help us grow, so follow His advice on leading while being young....

or don't.... you know what you are doing; you have read books, blogs, and been to conferences. 

2 comments:

Eric Partin said...

You are on the right track my friend.

boyd bettis said...

not sure what you are talking about in this post...
you are actually facing challenges pastoring at a young age? maybe you need to go to some more conferences...

just kidding.

great post bro...there is a lot of wisdom in this post. one of the things I've been doing lately has been spending time with men in their 40/50s to seek wisdom and counsel...has been one of the smartest decisions. It's saved me from making some dumb decisions due to my lack of life experience.

looking forward to reading more this week.