Monday, April 20, 2009

weekend recap

Mosaic 5K

We had 247 participants in the 1st ever Mosaic 5k!!!!!!!!

The unofficial amount of money we raised is just under 5K dollars!
-all proceeds benefiting the Crestview Pregnancy Center and the building of  a well in Mali, Africa.

I am so proud of Kinetta (race director) and all of our volunteers that made it happen!

Worship
I think that week 2 of "no more christians" was the best overall worship service we have ever had!

It was cool to meet people who have been to church once or twice in the last 10 years! (It seems like this is starting to be a regular thing!)

1 year celebration
We had a great time of hanging out, eating good food, singing together, and sharing what God has done over the past year!

I am so excited about what God has done, is doing , and is going to do through our Church!

Cameron
His second tooth appeared this weekend.  It is so bittersweet to see him grow up!

I love my family so much!

God
Is so good and so real on a personal level!

3 comments:

Steve said...

Hi James!

During these past two weeks I have come to realize that your efforts are more toward talking to fellow Christians than listening to those who are not.

Is there any reason why this cannot be seen as a deceptive effort in line with that which you seem to rally against?

Anyway, I'd just thought I'd bring that to your attention.

Thoughtfully yours,

Steve Schlicht
Biloxi MS

PS Your speech on Islam was rather a naive, superficial examination. Granted, I agree that the whole religion is sheer mythology and your methodology on how to expose it as such was correct.

Of course, every critique of Islam could be easily and equally applied to the Christian mythos well, but I understand that cognitive dissonance is very strong within dogma retained on "faith" rather than evidence.

james said...

Hey Steve,

My efforts are directed towards anyone who is seeking truth as always. Our audience is comprised of approximately 1/3 committed christians, 1/3 somewhat committed to really on the fence christians, and 1/3 non christians.

I do not think there is anything deceptive. We really think that people who just label themselves as christians but don't live the lifestyle of Christ should stop.

I have a response to some of your other comments made on my blog that, out of respect, I will save for our personal e-mail communication when I have the time.

Thanks for interesting conversation as always,

James

Steve said...

Everyone is perpetually seeking truth and knowledge, James.

Though, according to the Christian mythos, that was the original forbidden decree that caused the great falling away into sin, deviancy and debauchery.

I think that the difference between many religious adherents and other folk is that one group says "I have the truth and it is [insert religious claim/deity(s) here], while the other says "I don't know everything, but...I love a mystery, let's see what we can find out through our human capacity!!"

As a strong atheist that favors a simple critical analysis of claims that purport to hold the answers to life's great unknowns, my advice is to always keep looking for answers.

When it comes to actually living and existing within the wondrous universe, my view is that it is rather plain and observable that the morality of reciprocity, care and compassion is the most reasonable and rational moral/ethical standard.

Folks don't need God(s)ess(es) to tell them that or give them divine authority to understand the importance of unconditional love and the need to protect each other.

Thanks for the response, by the way, I understand that you are busy with your efforts.

Steve