Wednesday, December 10, 2008

what is your motivation?

Just over four years ago I served as a summer intern under John Cross at South Biscayne Church. I did not grow up in church all my life and I had never actually "worked" for a church until that summer so I had no idea what to expect. When I got there, what I found was that it was hard work. In addition to the fact that we as interns had submitted ourselves to serve in whatever way they needed, it was also a transition time in the church and there were a lot of staff issues and people issues going on. We had one day off a week (every once in a while and I usually didn't get home until 9) It was tiring, stressful, aggravating, painful, etc, etc, etc. To be honest at some moments I felt like breaking my 3 month commitment and going home.

But then I took part in a service at the beach where 67 people showed their commitment to Christ and how He had changed their life through being baptized. As I stood there in the water helping people to and from the Pastor; the cleaning bathrooms, walking to homes in 100 degree weather, and daily hard work became worth it! So, I continued to work hard, I continued to do things that I wasn't excited about doing, I continued to do whatever it takes because I was playing a part in the Church reaching real people.

Some people will work harder if you pay them more, if you give them some fancy title, or if they get recognized by others. God wants to work hard because of the need. In Luke 10, Jesus said that the Harvest is great but the workers are few.

I know as staff and as volunteers at mosaic (and other churches with a similar vision) we do a lot, but people's lives being changed is worth it!

No comments: