Friday, January 30, 2009

insight and wasabi

Yesterday I was having lunch at a fantastic sushi restaurant in town with my friend Mark (whom I had a fantastic conversation with).  Just as I sat down a woman came up to me who attended mosaic off and on for a few months.  She exuded that awkward feeling of "i better say hey to him first".  We said our hello's and she asked how my family and I was doing and then I asked her how she was doing......... of course the response went immediately to why she hasn't come to mosaic in a while.  

She said that she loved what we were doing and loved the people at mosaic and that my preaching was incredible (she even said I spoke right to her) but that she was going to a bigger and more established church  (that i won't mention) because it was closer and all the stuff they have. 

TWO THINGS.

One, isn't crazy that someone will pick a church not by the fact that God is growing them but by the things that the church has.  I think having stuff is good, but completely secondary to communicating the truth of scripture in  a way that leads people to get it.  

Secondly, this shows that it is important to single moms for their to be a lot of opportunities for their kids to do stuff.  Our churches must always remember that as we seek to be relevant to families that good preaching and good worship is not enough for that family.   

I wanted to tell her how much better things are for children and students at mosaic, but I realized that she is a christian and is going to church (at least some times). 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how they have to start off by telling you why they haven't been coming. Just goes to show how well the church has guilt tripped people.
I usually just say, "the most important thing to me is that you have found a church where you and your family can grow."

Anonymous said...

I have done that several times to you AND Eric. I'll start out with the "hellos" and then launch into the 10 reasons we've been sleeping in on sunday.... I'm excited about what's going on. Our kids stuff is on the brink.